SUBMISSION OF THE REQUEST FOR IUGG SUPPORT
The following guidelines for obtaining IUGG sponsorship should be observed by prospective proposers:
- An IUGG-sponsored scientific meeting should have a well-defined and scientifically relevant theme, should be scheduled at a propitious time for significant progress in the field, and should be of interest to young researchers as well as senior experts.
- While the IUGG embraces all fields in geophysics and geodesy, a proposed program should maintain a balanced scope relevant to IUGG Associations. Each proposal will be judged on its own scientific merits.
- Given the international nature of the Union, meetings are by definition internationally oriented. This requires a well-balanced geographical and gender distribution.
Normally, the initiative to propose a scientific meeting for IUGG sponsorship originates from a group of scientists in a certain field. Prospective meeting organizers should contact the respective Association Secretary General (ASG) well in advance of their intended proposal submission, by sending a request for IUGG support until 15 October. Please note that IUGG will support scientific meetings to be held in the following calendar year.
If a meeting needs to be postponed for up to 18 months (from the original date of submission), the previously guaranteed IUGG financial support will be transferred accordingly. If a meeting gets postponed for more than 18 months, the applicant should re-apply for IUGG financial support. Multiple postponements are not permitted. No IUGG financial support will be provided if the meeting is cancelled.
To ensure that the information necessary for the evaluation of the proposals by the Associations and the IUGG Bureau are complete and in a uniform format, allowing objective comparison between proposals as far as possible, the request for support must specify all entries listed below:
- Name of meeting, venue and dates
- Primary sponsors and other known co-sponsors
- Name and address of the Chair of the Local Organizing Committee
- The meeting website
- Scientific objective and scope of the meeting
- Estimated number of participants, abstracts, and sessions
- Level of support requested (in US$) and explanation of how the money will be used
- Additional information as appropriate
IUGG will not support scientific meetings in the year of an IUGG General Assembly (except for the aforementioned postponed meetings) and those meetings organized during Association scientific assemblies.