Moreover several ad hoc Committees are set up before IUGG General Assemblies to deal with the topics related to the assemblies.
The function of the Nominating Committee is to select and to nominate candidates for the IUGG Bureau (President-Elect, Secretary General, Treasurer, and three members at large) and the Finance Committee (3 members) to be elected by the IUGG Council at the forthcoming General Assembly of the Union.
At least 18 months before a General Assembly, the IUGG President shall appoint a Nominating Committee with the advice and approval of the Executive Committee. The Nominating Committee shall consist of a Chair and three other members, not themselves members of the Executive Committee or of the Finance Committee (By-Law 10b). Normally the Past President of the Union is asked to chair of the Committee.
- The Nominating Committee, after soliciting nominations from the Adhering Bodies of the Member Countries, and from the officers of the Union and the Associations, shall propose one or two candidates for each position in the Bureau, seeking to achieve a reasonable balance in their gender, geographical and professional distribution (By-Law 10b).
- The Nominating Committee shall, after soliciting nominations from the Adhering Bodies of the Member Countries, and from the officers of the Union and the Associations, propose one or two candidates for each of the three positions on the Finance Committee: one position from among the current members of the Finance Committee and two positions from among the current accredited Council Delegates or the Council Delegates accredited to any previous General Assembly excluding the current members of the Finance Committee. If there is an insufficient number of candidates from the previous Finance Committee, then an additional member or members shall be elected from among the Council Delegates (By-Law 10c).
- The Nominating Committee prepares a report on the nomination of the candidates and submit a list of nominations to the officers of the Union and Associations and the National Committees at least eight months before the General Assembly (By-Law 10b). They may make further nominations and/or recommendations to the Nominating Committee at least three months before the General Assembly. If new nominations for a given position according to ByLaw 10b,c are proposed, the candidates shall be added to the list initially established.
- The Nominating Committee shall send the final list of nominations to the officers of the Union and Associations and to the National Committees at the latest two months prior to the General Assembly (By-Law 10b).
- The Chair of the Nominating Committee should present the report on nominations and the candidates for the IUGG office.
Term of Office
The term of office of the Nominating Committee shall be until the closure of the IUGG General Assembly following after the appointment of the Nominating Committee.
Harsh Gupta (IASPEI), INDIA
Anny Cazenave (IAG), FRANCE
Hugo Delgado Granados (IAVCEI), MEXICO
Alberto Montanari (IAHS), ITALY