The IUGG Electronic Journal
Volume 2 No. 4 (April 1, 2002)
This short, informal newsletter is intended to keep IUGG Member National Committees informed
about the activities of the IUGG Associations, and actions of the IUGG Secretariat.
Past issues are posted on the IUGG Web site. Please forward this message to
those who will benefit from the information. Your comments are welcome.
- IUGG 2003 General Assembly Second Circular available on the Web
- IAVCEI receives grant from ICSU Committee on Disaster Reduction
- Reminder: Nominations for IUGG Officers and Finance Committee are open
- IUGG-related meetings occurring during April - June 2002
1. IUGG 2003 General Assembly Second Circular available on the Web
Information about the Sapporo Assembly, especially the Scientific Programme,
is now available on the General Assembly Web Site. To access the Web Site, go
to the IUGG index page (http://www.IUGG.org) and click on the "2003 IUGG
General Assembly" link. While the web version is still preliminary, the
final print version of the Second Circular is nearing completion and will be
2. IAVCEI receives grant from ICSU Committee on Disaster Reduction
The International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI) has been awarded $12,000 for each of the next 3 years to strengthen
capabilities in Latin America for volcano monitoring and hazard assessment through
improved training. The principal investigators are Marino Protti, Director of
the Observatorio Volcanologico y Sismologico de Costa Rica, John Ewert, Associate
Chief, Volcano Disaster Assistance Program, USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory
(Vancouver, Washington, USA), and Stephen McNutt, Secretary-General of IAVCEI.
3. Reminder: Nominations for IUGG Officers and Finance Committee are open
The IUGG Council will elect a new Bureau (President, Vice-President, Treasurer,
and 3 Members) and Finance Committee (5 members) at its meeting in Sapporo in
2003. (The Secretary-General was elected for two terms in 1999.) Instructions
regarding the procedures to be used to submit nominations are posted on the
IUGG Web site, and have been mailed to all IUGG officers and Adhering Bodies.
The following information is included in those instructions
Who may submit candidates for nomination?
The Adhering Bodies of the Member Countries, and the Officers of the Union and
the Associations may submit candidates. Scientists represented by Adhering Bodies
that have Associate membership, or have been in Observer status for more than
two years and scientists from countries not represented by an Adhering Body
are not eligible to hold elected positions in the Union or in its constituent
What is required of the candidates?
Candidates must signify their acceptance of nomination and must prepare a resume
outlining their position, research interests, and activities related to the
What are the deadlines for submissions?
The first deadline is 30 September 2002. After that time, the Nominations Committee
will prepare a document nominating one or two names for each position that will
seek a reasonable balance in geographical and professional distribution. This
document will be distributed to the Adhering Bodies, the National Committees,
and the officers of the Union by 30 November, 2002.
Please submit nominations to the Chair of the Nominations Committee as shown
fax: 1 403 284 1980
post: Prof. Dr. Klaus-Peter Schwarz
Dept. of Geomatics Engineering
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive N.W.
Calgary, ALBERTA T2N 1N4
4. IUGG-related meetings occurring during April - June 2002
A calendar of meetings of interest to IUGG disciplines (especially those organized
by IUGG Associations) is posted on the IUGG Web Site [www.IUGG.org]. Specific information about these meetings can be found there.
Individual Associations also list more meetings on their web sites appropriate
to their disciplines.
- April 14-19 IASPEI, Lake Starnberg, Germany, 10th International Workshop
on Seismic Anisotropy
- April 15-24 IAGA, Hermanus Magnetic Observatory, South Africa, 10th IAGA
Workshop on Geomagnetic Observatory Instruments, Data Acquisition and Processing
- April 22-26 EGS, Nice, France, SEDI Symposium "Dynamics of the core
- models and observations"; IAHS (ICT) Symposium "Hydrological and
Meteorological Coupling in Mountain Areas"
- April 26-28 IAG, Nice, France, IAG Executive Committee meeting
- May 6-10 IOC/EC/FRNS, Liege, Belgium, 34th Int'l Liege Colloquium on Ocean
Dynamics: Tracer Methods in Geophys. Fluid Dynamics Colloquium
- May 7-9 URSI, Alexandria, Virginia, USA, 10th International Ionospheric
- May 13-17 IAVCEI, IPGP, WOVO, St. Pierre, Martinique, West Indies, International
Congress Montagne Pelee 1902-2002
- May 21-24 IAG/FIG, Berlin, Germany, 2nd Symposium on Geodesy for Geotechnical
and Structural Engineering
- May 27-30 EUGIN/NNF, Copenhagen, Denmark, European Navigation Conference
- GNSS 2002
- May 28 - June 1 AGU, Washington, DC, USA, AGU spring meeting
- June 3-14 IHDP/START, Bonn, Germany, 3rd bi-annual International Human Dimensions
Workshop on Human Dimensions of Urbanisation and the Transition to Sustainability
- June 9-15 IAVCEI, Fairbanks, Alaska, USA, 3rd Biennial Workshop on Subduction
Processes in the Kurile-Kamchactka-Aleutian Arcs
- June 10-14 IAG, Matera, Italy, V. Hotine-Marussi Symposium on Mathematical
- June 12-14 IAG, Athens, Greece, General Assembly of the Working Group of
European Geoscientists for the Establishment of Networks for Earth Science
Research (Wegener 2002)
- June 12-15 IASPEI, Hawaii, USA, IRIS annual meeting
- June 15-16 IUGG/GeoRisk, Budapest, Hungary, Euroscience - IUGG Conference
Reduction of Risk & Sustainable Development of Society
- June 17-21 IUGG/CMG, Torino, Italy, Pattern and Form in Earth Dynamics;
24th International Conference on Mathematical Geophysics
- June 17-20 IAHS/ICGW, Prague, Czech Republic, 4th International Conference
on Calibration and Reliability in Groundwater Modelling
- June 19-21 IASPEI, Sintra, Portugal, 3rd Int'l Conference on Computer Simulation
in Risk Analysis and Hazard Mitigation
- June 20-24 AGU, Santorini, Greece, Volcanism and the Earth's Atmosphere
End of IUGG Electronic Journal Volume 2 Number 4 (April 1, 2002)
J. A. Joselyn, Secretary General [ http://www.IUGG.org ]
1 303 497 3645.